My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Married to Christine (22 years) and proud father of three children, Alyce,Emily & Nathan. Not as active as I'd like to be, back surgery last year has resulted in my physical life style to be somewhat compromised. I Love having a drink or two with my mates, especially in the Summer months when we take it in turns to hover over the BBQ.

<>

Friday, October 27, 2006

Camp out



When the cats away...... Dad takes the kids camping. (real Camping)
Nothing like the great outdoors,fresh air, great scenery, peace and tranquility. mmmmmmm!
Emily & Nathan have been hanging out to go camping. So while Christine went to stay at her sister Donna's place to celebrate her birthday, we took the opportunity to load up the 4 wheeel drive and camp trailer, picked up Fitzy and his son Connor then Headed into the bush. A two hour drive to the Thornton pub to meet our hosts for the weekend Ian & Ray. We followed Ian and Ray to a secret secluded area of land on the banks of the Goulburn river. A friend of Theirs owns two thousand acres of prime farmland where the Goulburn river winds through, a truly magical spot. First things first, I grabbed the shovel to dig the dunny. Yep! no toilets here, I did say it was real camping. Next we put up the tents and Emily made it homely by setting the beds up nice and comfortable. With the main things taken care of it was time to get the campfire going. Once the fire had settled the kids toasted marshmellows by using sticks they had collected earlier in the day.
Just as well we were prepared with extra bedding in case it got cold overnight. Cold... Brrrrrrr!! the temperature plummeted to zero degrees and everything we left outside was frozen. At 5 am we were woken by the sounds of nature. Sheep,Cows,Kookaburras,Native birds taking it in turns to call one another. The Kids and I laughed and joked about being awake so early. So as not to waste the day all of us were up and about collecting timber, setting fishing rods up and cooking breakfast on the coals left behind by a redgum limb burning overnight. We fished for a few hours, Ian caught a nice Rainbow trout and a Redfin. Unfortunately the rest of us didn't have to much luck when it came to catching a fish...
The highlite of the weekend for Nathan was being able to WIZZ anywhere he felt like.
The highlite for Emily was chasing and being chased by the cows close to our camp.
The highlite for me was just being there



12 Comments:

Blogger Peter said...

Hi Gazz, a great post, nothing beats the "real camping".... but marshmellows?... C'mon...
Very pretty spot you found, or were shown, I thought Reddies had disappeared from Vic. waters, we used to catch dozens of them at times.

10:45 am  
Blogger Gazza said...

The accidental introduction of Carp certainly devistated the Redfin,Yellow Belly & Maquarie Perch population. The conservationists have been doing a great deal of work in Victoria to re-build the fish stocks of native fish... They commenced breeding programs for Cod and introduced seasonal limits on most endangered species. The introduction of Cod in all waters has reduced the amount of Carp.(Cod love to feed off of carp fingerlings) Even though Redfin are not a native fish, they are benefitting from the lower number of Carp. I haven't seen a big reddy for ages, but I have returned many small ones to the water lately.

1:28 pm  
Blogger Jeanette said...

Hi Gary
Great photo's of your camping trip.
The fire reminded me of the apple tree in the yard were we all sat around it and roasted potatoes in it.
Looks like your all having fun
and I bet the kids enjoyed it. What!no fish I thought i might have been having a feed of fresh fish when i come down.
Hows your backs holding up? mines going ok 2 beds please. love mum xxxxxxxx
ooooppps Sorry Emily thank you for your lovely comments.
Ps... when are the Girls heading my way?

2:34 pm  
Blogger Jo said...

great photos Gary, looks very peaceful, hmmm dig a whole for the toilet.. like OMG.. wouldnt find me there.
You forgot to tell everyone of your first adventure of picking up all your goodies that fell of the trailer 5 min after you left home, how could you leave that out... LOL

3:47 pm  
Blogger Jo said...

btw..ohh just read Drew's comments.... Zoe is the budgie I use to have that Andrew adopted.

3:50 pm  
Blogger Gwen said...

Hi Gazz...Looks like you all had a great time camping,but wet arse and no fish thats what they say.
No probs the store brought will be fine for Mum and I.
See you on the 10th
P.S.Great snaps!!

1:56 am  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Gary ~ Great photos and looks like a good time was had by all.Very clever the way you have your photos,- giving the girls a run for their money.
Thanks for your comments, glad you liked the jokes. Have some more chocolates !!
Can't go wrong with chocolate. Take care
Regards, Merle.

10:06 pm  
Blogger Carole Burant said...

Hi Gazza...thank you so much for dropping by my blog and leaving a comment:-) I love "meeting" new people and your mom Jeanette certainly is a special lady! I've just read some of your posts and I so enjoyed all the slideshows...you have a beautiful family!! I use to love going camping with my dad when I was a little girl...my fondest memories are walking in the trails with him in the early morning hours while the rest of the family was still asleep:-)

11:27 pm  
Blogger Meow (aka Connie) said...

Looks like a wonderful time was had by all. Nothing nicer than going "real" camping !! My favorite spot is on the banks of the Murray, up around Yarrawonga / Cobram area. Although the Goulburn looks wonderful ... have never camped there, though. We are heading up to Bonnie Doon this weekend, so will be crossing the Goulburn !!! Your photos are wonderful. Thanks for sharing.
Take care, Meow

11:00 am  
Blogger Cazz said...

Hey Bro,

mmmmm NO FISH .. now thats a surprise ... NOT !!!! Have you ever gone on a trip and caught any, I always hear about the ones you throw back, but never the ones you bring home. And as much as I hate to admit it, I agree with Jo.. dig a hole for a Dunny .. OMG.. give me 5 star accommodation any day !!!

It looked like a lovely spot, and the kids enjoyed it, awesome photos BTW.

Cazz

2:14 pm  
Blogger Janice Seagraves said...

Hi Gaz,

Nice photos, that is lovely country you have there.

Janice~

12:23 pm  
Blogger Gwen said...

Hi Gazz..I just wanted to thank you once agin for the great weekend.
I had a great time and you all spoilt me and mum(us)rotten that breaky was unreal.xoxoxo

7:06 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home